September on the move...

Three years ago, I moved to Montreal to ambitiously discover downtown living and its dynamic art core. 


Photo by Julia Hilao

Fast forward to the present day, and I have made the move to downtown Toronto.
Although staying with my grandparents may not be ideal with my frequent schedule changes throughout the weeknights, I am incredibly grateful I have a place to return to with home-cooked food, utilities, and low rent.
I have drafted a TO-DO LIST of places to explore: coffee shops to peruse, tapas restaurants to savour, urban parks to soak up the last of the summer/autumn's rays. (Foursquare has been highly helpful here)

I am starting to discover I appreciate my own space more and more - I enjoy other's thoughtfulness and company, but I either subconsciously find it an inconvenience or an unburdening energy to put up with other people's attention on me while at home.
Photo by Julia Hilao
If there's one thing that's been consistent on my agenda, is moving - I always make a bold choice to move - for school, work; always my own pursuit for newer opportunities - I feel it would be fairly difficult for me to settle in my present situation and mental needs. 
Speaking of not settling, I'm planning on attending the Go Global Expo this weekend to seek out international opportunities to work abroad. As a subcontractor until December, I have free mobility to travel starting in January (that is unless an extension, promotion, or other job offer is in sight). I highly recommend for anyone currently unemployed or uncontracted to explore your travel options! Especially if you can find areas to get paid and accommodated for, I don't see what you're losing out on!


Following repaying student loans, I guess I am starting to "budget" for certain expenses that I want to finally bring into fruition.

 First Tattoo (I'm working on a sketch with artist, Fab at Blood, Sweat, Tears)

 New Camera and Lenses (gotta build up that photo/video portfolio)

 New laptop for editing (yes, I'm thinking of switching over to you, Apple haha) 

I can't complain about my 9-5 hour schedule (or should I say 10-4) at my current job but I am driving for the extra cash, and freelance designing has been a bit of a bite in the ass. Money just doesn't come in as consistently every week, especially with clients whom are freelancers themselves and their busy lifestyles. 

I also never wanted my first full-time job to be completely mundane in a blue collar setting, and it totally isn't! I have to pinch and remind myself everyday that I have the flexibility of working under another creative's studio that I won't be in an office every day of my life, dealing with customer's nagging compromises 24/7, or having to settle for a silly task like data input or policy writing. There is so much going on every week, I forget that we're working with large corporate clients, dealing with their creative marketing launches, and are amidst the hustle and bustle on what Vogue has named the second hippest neighborhood in the world! (highly exaggerated). 

I wanted to move away from the city for the longest time after growing up here all my life, but the more that I stay in the core, the more I start to enjoy its populous of cultural events, convenience in transportation (especially from my grandparents), and its general wealth of opportunities here. 

I can't say I ever regret this move...

Photo by Julia Hilao


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Check out my new blog look! Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin for all my updated posts!

Stay Updated

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

About

Delicate & Demure is the official blog of Emilie Wong featuring stories of personal growth, culinary adventures, and travel experiences.

More to come soon...