Autumn awning...

Evergreen Brickworks. Photo by Steven Lopez

Autumn, it's a love-hate relationship..

And it's abuzz with new opportunities


I'm starting to experience an identity crisis - with my present location haha. I am in love with the current area I'm residing in - Leslieville is lush full of amazing coffee shops, macaron cafes, and cute, affordable restaurants. I have been looking into 1-bedroom lofts that could potentially fit my lifestyle and have been sprouting all across Queen East length east of the DVP. I am in love with the idea of waking up to a morning run, picking up a fresh-baked croissant at Bonjour Brioche and then a cold-pressed juice at Pulp Kitchen, all before making my departure for work, Monday to Friday.

My parents left for Asia for a little under a month, which enabled me to visit my house in Scarborough more frequently - but the hours spent travelling to and from home when I will land myself back downtown, especially on the weekends, are particularly draining. I've been discovering more and more that I love my alone time - I mean living with my grandparents in Leslieville is preferential due to cheap rent and cooked meals, but I think the sole ownership and possession of a place would outweigh any other freebies lined up.

Evergreen Brickworks. Photo by Steven Lopez
I've been baking a lot in my free time. I haven't had the chance to go pumpkin or apple picking at a local orchard this year - due to hiccups in my work schedule. But I am obsessed with making spiced loaves, apple crumbles, and baked squash as the fruits and vegetables become available. Autumn is my favourite season to explore farmer's markets and organic food marts within the city - there was an incredible selection at the Evergreen Brickworks' farmer's market on Saturdays, located under a giant awning.

I recently joined the Goodlife Fitness in my area, and received a few, free weeks there as a client incentive promotion. For years after high school, I was incredibly active - biking, hiking, and running outdoors- and I never enrolled in a single gym class. Only in the past few years have I invested the time and money for a regular membership at a local gym - you can say I'm almost an aficionado try-it-all - YMCA Scarborough and Markham, GoodLife, Extreme Fitness, and another locally-owned smaller gym in my area uptown, were all frequented in the past five years. I joined a few different yoga studios as well - making most of the 'first month membership promotions' - I highly recommend YYOGA Queen West to anyone in the downtown core - it is a super contemporary two-level studio with sauna hot classes, and spin classes as well.




As December nears, I am dreading the search and anticipation for
a) a new job - As I mentioned earlier, I have been subcontracting from September to December as a temporary studio manager - and I am already seeking another job for more experience and to interact with a larger community of designers and developers. I do not mind my current position at all - it is in a much smaller and quieter studio than I am used to but I often feel socially undermined and even anti-social at times when the only people I communicate with on the daily include only two people.
b) travelling opportunities - I am still hoping to save up for the summer to backpack - perhaps Eastern Europe or Southeastern Asia as I have an incredulous bucket list to get through and either region would be a marvel to travel to on my own.
c) investing in a loft - this would of course would tie into if I am staying in the city for longer than a year - and my current income would need a boost in this department but it is always fun to look! And there is a great selection of bachelor-style, open-concept lofts in the Leslieville east end!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Check out my new blog look! Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin for all my updated posts!

Stay Updated

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

About

Delicate & Demure is the official blog of Emilie Wong featuring stories of personal growth, culinary adventures, and travel experiences.

More to come soon...